Crunchy buttermilk onion rings
Serves: 4 as a snack
- 1 pkt Fantastic Rice Crackers, BBQ flavour
- 1 pkt Fantastic Rice Crackers, Original flavour
- 3 – 4 extra large white onions, peeled
- 150 mls buttermilk
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- sea salt flakes to serve
- aioli to serve
- Place the rice crackers in a zip lock bag, seal and pound with a rolling pin to make even sized crumbs. Set aside.
- Cut the peeled onions into thick slices and then separate into rings.
- Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl add the onion rings and toss through the buttermilk. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Place the flour and the crumbs on seperate flat trays.
- Remove the onion rings from the buttermilk, lightly dust with flour and quickly dip into the buttermilk then coat with the crumbs.
- Heat a large frying pan with a 2-3 cm of oil; do not over heat to smoking point.
- Gently and carefully fry the onion rings on both sides till golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve while hot with a small bowl of aioli and a sprinkle of salt flakes.
For more recipes visit fantasticsnacks.com.au
© Fantastic Snacks 2016