Spiced Deep Fried Ice-Cream with Chocolate and Orange Ganache
Preparation Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
1L good quality vanilla bean ice-cream
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tbsp orange zest
1 tbsp lemon zest
2x packets Fantastic Rice Crackers, Original
Chocolate and Orange Ganache
½ cup cream
1 tbsp orange zest
200g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
Oil for deep frying
- Remove the ice-cream from the freezer and place into a large mixing bowl. Allow the ice cream to soften but not melt.
- Using a large spoon mix through the spice and orange and lemon zest. Return to the freezer until it has firmed up.
- Using an ice-cream scoop take 6 large scoops and place on a tray lined with baking paper, return to the freezer for 2 hours.
- Crush the rice crackers in a food processor to make a fine crumb and place in a shallow bowl.
- Working quickly, roll the ice-cream balls in the crumbs to coat, then return to the freezer for 1 hour.
- Lightly beat the eggs, then quickly coat the ice cream balls in egg and roll again in the rice cracker crumbs, making sure to completely cover with the second layer of crumbs. Return to the freezer until ready to fry.
- When ready to serve, make the ganache by heating the cream and zest to boiling point. Remove from heat, add the chocolate to the hot cream and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes then stir to make a smooth, glossy sauce.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer of a large saucepan to 190°C.
- Fry the balls one or two at a time, don’t over crowd the fryer, until golden, approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately drizzled with the chocolate and orange ganache.
Serving suggestion: Crumble some meringue onto the base of the serving dish and decorate with some extra meringues and either dried or fresh orange segments.
For more recipes visit fantasticsnacks.com.au
© Fantastic Snacks 2016